Skip to main content

Day 6: Oh, This Hurts!

Woke up today with a 100.2 F fever and one of the worst headaches I've ever had! It hasn't let up all day. . It's a pretty close rival to the severe pain, when vertical, after a spinal tap that didn't seal - and if you've ever had one of those, you know it's excruciating! It hurts and throbs all over. Seems to emanate from my neck and the base of my head. It throbs worse whenever I move, but I can't find a position where it goes away at all...so I've just been lying still in bed most the day, sleeping of and on with difficulty. I took 500mg of Acetaminophen at 7am and again at 11am, when I made myself get up and slowly eat  something, so I could take my steroid meds. I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow, a few days early (he'd said come back in 10 days), unless things get worse tonight and then I'll try to find a clinic open on a Sunday. I just want to make sure, with this new development, that there's nothing more seriously wrong. It could be related to the structural adjustment and alignment stretches I did last night, since I've read that it's not uncommon to have a headache and flu-like symptoms after a chiropractic adjustment due to the toxins released when things are straightened out. It could be that, but it will be good go in and make sure it's not something more.

I have amazing friends who've been helping me! They came by to check on me early this afternoon. One of them, a nurse, gave me a little check-up (my fever had gone down) and prayed with me, while the other changed my light bulb that had gone out in the kitchen and they washed all my dishes by hand that had piled up these past several days! My nurse friend is going to come back this evening and spend the night here, so that I'm not alone. I feel very loved!

Fever is back up to 100.1 F at 6:15pm. I'm not sure there's any change in movement...if anything, my slight ability to twitch my eye and the corner of my mouth are gone, because I'm so wiped out and weak from this headache.
I took more Acetaminophen and the fever was down to 98 F by 9pm. A hot shower on my head felt really good and the pain was mostly gone right after... but then it came back, but not as bad as it had been all day. My US doctor texted and said it was a good idea to go back to the doctor tomorrow, just to check, and he recommended I take some Ibuprofen, alternating with the Acetaminophen  so I took 400mg around 10pm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 13-14: DIY Eye Taping

Muscle function continues to improve. I've been able to move my lower lid several more times, and then I can't. It comes in spurts. My face is clearly less droopy, more taut. My upper lid now participates slightly when the other eye is blinking involuntarily. I can slightly tighten my whole cheek, not just the corner of my mouth. Super encouraging and hopeful! I worked a 12 hour day on Saturday...I know I shouldn't have, but we had an exhibition and there was work that had to get done. I was wiped out, and yesterday and today (thankfully days off work, for rest) I've been laying low, not feeling so great... The virus that created the conditions for the suffocated facial nerve is running it's course (just like it has with others around me who had the virus, though not with my same complications). It's moved from bad headaches and fatigue to include head and chest congestion. I slept 13 hrs last night! The spot of nerve damage behind my ear is still painful. M

Day 50 - Prednisone Was The Culprit!

Oh My! What a week! I'm so thankful that none of this has landed me in the hospital here, because I just got to see what those are like, and what they are lacking! One of our artists almost had a heart attack and I had to take her to the emergency clinic and spent the next couple long days with her there, trying to advocate for her. I'm exhausted, needless to say, and thankfully she was stabilized and able to return home to better care. While I was at the hospital, my neurologist came by to check on our artist, and he recognized me and asked how I was doing. When I told him how exhausted I've been, with super low energy, he said that was because I stopped the Prednisone too quickly and so my adrenal glands were struggling to function! But he had specifically told me NOT to taper them, that there was no need, and he didn't prescribe a dose that included tapering! AGH!! Sure enough, I checked my notes here, and the dates (so thankful I had this record!) and right when

Days 15-16: Glorious & Underated...smiling and blinking

Not much to report - still feeling tired, sick and congested (that's the most discouraging part) - still improving in facial muscle strength and obedience to my brain's commands, a tiny bit more each day! Hearing and sight and taste impairment still the same. I can almost make a sort of smile - or at least a pleasant look instead of a grimace - if I don't smile on my good side, except a tiny bit in that eye...that helps it match the weak side and gives me an expression that doesn't shout that something's wrong! Until people realize I'm not blinking! I know that many others with Bell's Palsy have a much slower recovery, and there's no guarantee mine will continue to progress at this pace or fully recover (though from prognosis stats for early progress, I'm hopeful). Hang in there! Rest! Do everything you should, as early as possible, and that should really help! The quote above is from an article by BBC reporter, John Sudworth , who himself had