Skip to main content

Day 50 - Prednisone Was The Culprit!

Oh My! What a week! I'm so thankful that none of this has landed me in the hospital here, because I just got to see what those are like, and what they are lacking! One of our artists almost had a heart attack and I had to take her to the emergency clinic and spent the next couple long days with her there, trying to advocate for her. I'm exhausted, needless to say, and thankfully she was stabilized and able to return home to better care.

While I was at the hospital, my neurologist came by to check on our artist, and he recognized me and asked how I was doing. When I told him how exhausted I've been, with super low energy, he said that was because I stopped the Prednisone too quickly and so my adrenal glands were struggling to function! But he had specifically told me NOT to taper them, that there was no need, and he didn't prescribe a dose that included tapering! AGH!!
Sure enough, I checked my notes here, and the dates (so thankful I had this record!) and right when I was thinking "What in the world?! This virus is the strangest thing ever, not like any I've ever had, and it's suddenly taken a strange turn and I feel AWEFUL!" - that was right after I'd stopped the Prednisone!! I did a little research and Prednisone takes over for your adrenal cortisol production and they stop producing it, so you can't just stop taking it, or else your body crashes. Everyone's body is different and will respond to it differently, but, especially with my history of adrenal insufficiency, I should have tapered... Oh well. There's nothing I can do at this point, since it's been over a month since I stopped it. I just need to keep trying to rest as much as I can and be encouraged that my adrenals are doing as well as they are, all things considered!

People who didn't know my face had been paralyzed don't notice the last bits of muscle control that haven't recovered yet. For the most part now, I forget about it too. I can taste better, but not completely, and I still have areas that feel "bruised".  Below compares today to Day 9 which the best record I have of me at my worst. To compare this week's to last week's, check out the full grid of images.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 13-14: DIY Eye Taping

Muscle function continues to improve. I've been able to move my lower lid several more times, and then I can't. It comes in spurts. My face is clearly less droopy, more taut. My upper lid now participates slightly when the other eye is blinking involuntarily. I can slightly tighten my whole cheek, not just the corner of my mouth. Super encouraging and hopeful! I worked a 12 hour day on Saturday...I know I shouldn't have, but we had an exhibition and there was work that had to get done. I was wiped out, and yesterday and today (thankfully days off work, for rest) I've been laying low, not feeling so great... The virus that created the conditions for the suffocated facial nerve is running it's course (just like it has with others around me who had the virus, though not with my same complications). It's moved from bad headaches and fatigue to include head and chest congestion. I slept 13 hrs last night! The spot of nerve damage behind my ear is still painful. M

Days 15-16: Glorious & Underated...smiling and blinking

Not much to report - still feeling tired, sick and congested (that's the most discouraging part) - still improving in facial muscle strength and obedience to my brain's commands, a tiny bit more each day! Hearing and sight and taste impairment still the same. I can almost make a sort of smile - or at least a pleasant look instead of a grimace - if I don't smile on my good side, except a tiny bit in that eye...that helps it match the weak side and gives me an expression that doesn't shout that something's wrong! Until people realize I'm not blinking! I know that many others with Bell's Palsy have a much slower recovery, and there's no guarantee mine will continue to progress at this pace or fully recover (though from prognosis stats for early progress, I'm hopeful). Hang in there! Rest! Do everything you should, as early as possible, and that should really help! The quote above is from an article by BBC reporter, John Sudworth , who himself had