Skip to main content

Days 18-21: Thawing Face but Sick in Bed

Great encouragements on the Defrosting Of My Face Front, with more control and movement each day. I even have a few wrinkles returning on my forehead and the corner of my eye - something I never thought I'd be so happy about! Vision and hearing still impaired, but I'm hopeful that will return.

On the Virus Front, I'm still feeling quite lousy and I've had this thing for THREE WEEKS now!
It's a nasty virus, but aside from feeling annoyed and rotten and ready for it to move along, I'm not too concerned, since it seems to be following the same slow course for me as it has for those I caught it from (except for my additional complications of paralysis!).
I spent the past three days in bed - taking naps and sleeping 12 hours at night - very thankful it was finally the weekend. I'd felt like doing that all last week, but had to go to work. Today I was able to stay home and work from bed on the computer all day (one of the occasionally possible perks of being a business owner).
Just for the record, the virus symptoms began (the first week and a half) with aching, burning eyes, headache, fever and fatigue. The past week and a half there's been no fever, but the aching, burning eyes, low-grade headache and fatigue have continued, along with sinus and bronchial congestion, difficulty breathing, sore throat, earache, tinnitus, and today dizziness. Yesterday and today it finally feels like it's starting to progress and move down into my nose, rather than just being packed up in my sinuses, and I've been coughing productively.
I have had thoughts of "What if this continued inflammation in my head damages the nerve on the left side of my face too? Or causes my recovering right nerve to be suffocated again, just when it's starting to heal, now that I'm off the steroids?" But I can't let myself dwell on that. I just have to rest as much as I can and support my system in fighting this.

It's so funny that I can be so bothered about feeling sick, more than about being paralyzed! I need to speak the same truths to my heart that I was believing at the beginning of this: God is in control; This virus can stay no longer than He allows; He is sovereign over everything that this is getting in the way of; My hope is in Him alone, not in how I feel or any prognisis; He's working all things for my good because I belong to Him and He loves me!

[Correction: my doctor corrected my thinking about this - most viruses only last 5-7 days, but the aftermath and damage they do to our bodies can stay for weeks. Our bodies shift vital energy to our immune systems and healing systems, leaving not enough energy to carry out daily activity.  I don't continue to have an infection that's still causing damage...it's the lingering aftermath. My body just considers healing this facial nerve to be more important than allocating resources elsewhere, and that's why I'm feeling so drained. And all the symptoms I still have - my body is just dealing with the aftermath of the infection still and that's taking longer to work its way out.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 13-14: DIY Eye Taping

Muscle function continues to improve. I've been able to move my lower lid several more times, and then I can't. It comes in spurts. My face is clearly less droopy, more taut. My upper lid now participates slightly when the other eye is blinking involuntarily. I can slightly tighten my whole cheek, not just the corner of my mouth. Super encouraging and hopeful! I worked a 12 hour day on Saturday...I know I shouldn't have, but we had an exhibition and there was work that had to get done. I was wiped out, and yesterday and today (thankfully days off work, for rest) I've been laying low, not feeling so great... The virus that created the conditions for the suffocated facial nerve is running it's course (just like it has with others around me who had the virus, though not with my same complications). It's moved from bad headaches and fatigue to include head and chest congestion. I slept 13 hrs last night! The spot of nerve damage behind my ear is still painful. M

Day 50 - Prednisone Was The Culprit!

Oh My! What a week! I'm so thankful that none of this has landed me in the hospital here, because I just got to see what those are like, and what they are lacking! One of our artists almost had a heart attack and I had to take her to the emergency clinic and spent the next couple long days with her there, trying to advocate for her. I'm exhausted, needless to say, and thankfully she was stabilized and able to return home to better care. While I was at the hospital, my neurologist came by to check on our artist, and he recognized me and asked how I was doing. When I told him how exhausted I've been, with super low energy, he said that was because I stopped the Prednisone too quickly and so my adrenal glands were struggling to function! But he had specifically told me NOT to taper them, that there was no need, and he didn't prescribe a dose that included tapering! AGH!! Sure enough, I checked my notes here, and the dates (so thankful I had this record!) and right when

Days 15-16: Glorious & Underated...smiling and blinking

Not much to report - still feeling tired, sick and congested (that's the most discouraging part) - still improving in facial muscle strength and obedience to my brain's commands, a tiny bit more each day! Hearing and sight and taste impairment still the same. I can almost make a sort of smile - or at least a pleasant look instead of a grimace - if I don't smile on my good side, except a tiny bit in that eye...that helps it match the weak side and gives me an expression that doesn't shout that something's wrong! Until people realize I'm not blinking! I know that many others with Bell's Palsy have a much slower recovery, and there's no guarantee mine will continue to progress at this pace or fully recover (though from prognosis stats for early progress, I'm hopeful). Hang in there! Rest! Do everything you should, as early as possible, and that should really help! The quote above is from an article by BBC reporter, John Sudworth , who himself had