Skip to main content

Day 8: Successful Eye Patch Innovation

Today was a good day, even though I felt kind of lousy most of the day - mild headache, tired, lower eyelid twitching annoyingly - but the rest of my face not moving, random throbs of pain on right side of face, neck and head. Way better than I was feeling Sunday! The verdict is still out, but I think I can now do slight pumping open movements with my eyelid that I couldn't do before! And it seems my ability to twitch the corner of my mouth is a bit stronger today!

I picked up the results of the CT scan today and the report says everything is normal! Praise God!
So it must have just been the virus, or not enough corticosteroids, or toxins/adjusting after my structural alignment stretches...
Who knows - I just hope that pain never comes back!

After some trial and error I think I've invented an excellent Bell's Palsy DIY Eye Patch! That last one I made was better than a completely opaque one, but I still couldn't see through it well. Plus, by trying to be less conspicuous and using a smaller patch that adhered closer to the eye, I was causing the sensitive skin around the eye to be raw and irritated.

My new patch is larger and seals the eye completely, protecting it from debris and drying up when I'm outside, AND I can still see where I'm going, which is so great when walking is my main mode of transportation!
Maybe people who have a car don't have to spend much time outside, so this isn't an issue, but my errands can take hours when I do all my shopping outside, on foot, in open air markets, and I walk to and from work, on crowded cobblestone streets!
I can go all day, outside, without my eye getting dry! It does get a little foggy, so eye drops before putting it on are probably not necessary, and leaving a slight opening on side of nose may help.
I can get two uses out of it, by saving the backing papers to store it on, but it was really easy to make. The total cost for one is $0.95.
I'm sure I must look like a freak when wearing it...like some sort of half racoon, or schizophrenic aviator, but it's SO worth it! Sunglasses definitely help me go incognito...until it gets dark out!

Local Culture Home Remedy Advice For The Day: "You should boil some Louisa  into a tea and drink it with a bit of sugar or honey. It will calm your nerves and help you to relax and feel better." I looked it up, and Louiza is Lemongrass, which supposedly has all sorts of amazing health benefits. They make it out to be a miracle plant! Friends here have often sung the praises of Louiza, but I'd never really looked into it. I think I might have to try some! I especially like its antimicrobial properties, in addition to its anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxing properties. I checked out any interactions with Prednisone and studies show that there are none, so it can't hurt, in moderation! I think an excursion into the market in search of Louiza is in order for tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 13-14: DIY Eye Taping

Muscle function continues to improve. I've been able to move my lower lid several more times, and then I can't. It comes in spurts. My face is clearly less droopy, more taut. My upper lid now participates slightly when the other eye is blinking involuntarily. I can slightly tighten my whole cheek, not just the corner of my mouth. Super encouraging and hopeful! I worked a 12 hour day on Saturday...I know I shouldn't have, but we had an exhibition and there was work that had to get done. I was wiped out, and yesterday and today (thankfully days off work, for rest) I've been laying low, not feeling so great... The virus that created the conditions for the suffocated facial nerve is running it's course (just like it has with others around me who had the virus, though not with my same complications). It's moved from bad headaches and fatigue to include head and chest congestion. I slept 13 hrs last night! The spot of nerve damage behind my ear is still painful. M

Day 50 - Prednisone Was The Culprit!

Oh My! What a week! I'm so thankful that none of this has landed me in the hospital here, because I just got to see what those are like, and what they are lacking! One of our artists almost had a heart attack and I had to take her to the emergency clinic and spent the next couple long days with her there, trying to advocate for her. I'm exhausted, needless to say, and thankfully she was stabilized and able to return home to better care. While I was at the hospital, my neurologist came by to check on our artist, and he recognized me and asked how I was doing. When I told him how exhausted I've been, with super low energy, he said that was because I stopped the Prednisone too quickly and so my adrenal glands were struggling to function! But he had specifically told me NOT to taper them, that there was no need, and he didn't prescribe a dose that included tapering! AGH!! Sure enough, I checked my notes here, and the dates (so thankful I had this record!) and right when

Days 15-16: Glorious & Underated...smiling and blinking

Not much to report - still feeling tired, sick and congested (that's the most discouraging part) - still improving in facial muscle strength and obedience to my brain's commands, a tiny bit more each day! Hearing and sight and taste impairment still the same. I can almost make a sort of smile - or at least a pleasant look instead of a grimace - if I don't smile on my good side, except a tiny bit in that eye...that helps it match the weak side and gives me an expression that doesn't shout that something's wrong! Until people realize I'm not blinking! I know that many others with Bell's Palsy have a much slower recovery, and there's no guarantee mine will continue to progress at this pace or fully recover (though from prognosis stats for early progress, I'm hopeful). Hang in there! Rest! Do everything you should, as early as possible, and that should really help! The quote above is from an article by BBC reporter, John Sudworth , who himself had